At Kallyope we believe that the gut is the gateway to our internal world. Containing millions of neurons, the gut informs our brains about our well-being, metabolism, and nutritional state. The gut-brain axis—the communication highway between our gut and our brain—offers an unprecedented opportunity to access and influence brain centers involved in fundamental human processes. An understanding of the biology mediated by the gut and gut-brain circuits will change the way we think about food, nutrition, and human physiology.
The ideal candidate is a self-starting individual who seeks out solutions and thrives in a fast-paced environment. The Senior Accountant role will report directly to the Controller and plays a critical role in assisting in all accounting functions.
Successful candidates for this position will have a passion for engaging with every member of our team and continuing to foster a culture of high-performance, innovation, and teamwork.
- Play an essential role in the month-end, quarter-end close, and year-end close processes by creating and reviewing journal entries and preparing reconciliations for balance sheet accounts, including cash, prepaid expenses, accruals and fixed assets
- Record journal entries and prepare reconciliations
- Weekly reconciliation of cash accounts
- Ensure compliance with internal policies and procedures in support of the Company’s internal controls
- Assist with ad hoc reporting and analysis for external, internal and board reporting as needed to support the Controllership
- Conduct monthly closing activities to ensure proper and timely financial reporting
- Assist with external year-end audits including preparation of necessary work papers
- Maintain and improve accounting and business processes documentation
- Assist in the implementation of additional functionalities in ERP system and supplementary systems to support the automation of accounting processes
- Assist in implementation of strong month-end clinical accrual process, managing vendor and CRO responses
- Perform other duties including assistance on special projects as required by the Controller, Chief Financial Officer, Director of Operations, and others.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Fundamental knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- 3+ years of Big 4 professional accounting experience
- CPA (or working towards a CPA license)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-starter who is action oriented and possesses a strong sense of urgency
- Good at working independently and thinking critically
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously, work effectively in a team environment and meet deadlines
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- Advanced Excel user – ability to create pivot tables, look-ups, etc.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products
- Experience using NetSuite or other ERP a plus